Watering pear, plum, peach and fig trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by ciccione, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ciccione

ciccione Member

Hello,

I'm looking after my father-in-law's fruit trees in Burnaby for the summer, and have a few questions about taking care of them. He's not much of a gardener---and has been sort of cavalier in his approach---but the trees have, in previous years, produced excellent fruit. I'm not sure how much and how often I should water them (if at all, in such a wet climate)? Also, where should I water them (i.e., at the trunk, etc.)? Very good south-west exposure, although the weather hasn't been great this month.

Thanks for any help,
    Ciccione

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I don't water my trees unless it is pretty dry. Even then I ignore my plums, peach,and fig. I water the pear sparingly when its really dry, and if you really need to water don't do it when the fruit is just about ready as it splits the fruit. You don't need to water the leaves, or the trunk, but look at the spread of the tree, the roots are below the circumference of it, water there.
    Carol Ja

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The typical July rainfall total in Seattle is less than 1/4". Water enough to keep your fruit trees moist. Use mulch to retard drying of the soil. Dig around under the trees to see how moist the soil is.

4. ciccione

ciccione Member

Thank you both for your advice. Much appreciated. Has it been, do you think, a bad year for fruit trees in this part of the world?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some Japanese plums and perhaps some apples appear to me to be cropping better than usual, actually. In fact, purpleleaf plum authority A.L. Jacobson told me this is the first year ever he has seen the purpleleaf Japanese plum 'Vesuvius' fruiting in Seattle.

6. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I also have had a great fruit year, probably a side effect of last years drought
    Carol Ja

7. ciccione

ciccione Member

Ha! I guess that means the old man overdid it a bit with the fertilizer this year. Oops.