Warm enough?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by soccerdad, May 20, 2009.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I am growing five strelitzia and 8 epiphylum cacti. Each is about 4 years old.

Right now they are all in my sort-of-greenhouse and they are growing very well indeed. I have adjusted the temp so that it gets down to about 14 C at night, although it reaches at least 25 C during the day.

But I'd like to move them outside.

My question is, is it hot enough outside for me to do so?

Assume please that at night the temp will drop to about 10 C (that is, 50 F for those who use the old system) and during the day it will reach about 15 C (that is, about 60 F) where I will hang the epis but that it will be very slightly warmer where I place the strelitzia. In those circumstances will the plants (a) be harmed, (b) not be harmed, but not do anything either, (c) be happy?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd wait until after July 4th, when summer arrives. Nights are still pretty cold here.

3. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

July 4 seems very far away. In June the lows historically average about 11.5 C, which is the third highest of the year and higher than September's average low. So July 4 would imply that June is too cold, hence so is September, which means that the the plants would have to be brought inside within two months. Can that be so?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not very hot in summer here, and yes that mere two month period is really the only time when it may be consistently warm at night for weeks. Keeping house plants indoors throughout that year has been recommended. That way you don't subject them to temperature changes and the possibility of bugs and slugs coming in with them at the end of the outdoor stint.