Vineyard

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by lens, Aug 24, 2007.

1. lens

lens Member

I'm very curious to know what kind of grapes are growing in the vineyard next to the food garden.

Thanks.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here is a list of Vitis growing in UBC BG: Vitis - you'll specifically be looking for the ones that are cultivars of V. vinifera and V. rotundifolia.

3. mkplant

mkplant Active Member 10 Years

Maybe this part of the Collections Data could do with a little work. 'Pinot Noir' is a famous old cultivar of Vitis vinifera. The other cultivars listed as V. rotundifolia are hybrids of various kinds not likely involving V. rotundifolia at all. And unless there is an obscure variety named 'Fock' that one is more probably 'Marechal Foch' which is a well known hybrid which was widely grown as a wine grape in the Okanagan. I wonder if the V. rotundifolia was the rootstock and that was what caused the confused naming but because there are much more commonly used rootstocks that doesn't seem a really good explanation.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Unfortunately our accession system database does not interface so easily with the Website. Updates are consequently behind online. Here are the accessions of Vitis spp. currently listed in the UBC Botanical Garden accessions database.

I have not looked over the data for these accessions recently, it may still have a few naming issues.

Attached Files: