vines for covering deer fence

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by that dee girl, Sep 10, 2007.

1. that dee girl

that dee girl Member

I decided to install a 6 foot high deer & rabbit fence. While it does the job of keeping the deer & rabbits out, it is less than lovely to look at. I have about 700' of fence to cover & would like something that looks nice in the winter too! Although it doesn't have to be evergreen. Soil is here non existant, basically sandstone, so I am amending the soil as I go. But I have a good well, so watering isn't an issue. Mainly a shady site filled with large evergreens which everyone here calls cedars (not)
    All suggestions are welcome.
    thanks, Dee

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I recently visited my relatives on Salt Spring - they were using honeysuckle as a cover for their fence in many places - but I don't know the species.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Same issues of unpredictable behavior as with trying to plant where there is no fence. Maybe you can plant non-climbing plants inside fence and hide it that way. I definitely wouldn't plant one kind of climber over the whole thing. I also wouldn't amend the planting areas, as this is not a productive exercise where permanent subjects (trees, shrubs and climbers) are to be installed.

4. that dee girl

that dee girl Member

Thanks for this suggestion, I looked at them at the garden centre. I had no luck growing honeysuckle at my last house, but I shouldn't let that cloud my thinking.

5. that dee girl

that dee girl Member

I do want to have different plants surrounding the property, I can't imagine how boring it would be with just one plant :)
    I am worried about not amending the soil somewhat, you may think I am kidding that it is just sandstone. It took two days of two people with two pickaxes to dig a 2 foot & 6 foot raspberry bed. By the time we removed the rocks there was only sand in the hole.
    It is so rocky here, we had to drill to put in metal fence posts. I know that not amending planting holes is the new way of thinking, but I worry if I don't put something in there nothing will grow.
    Thanks for your suggestions, I do appreciate the time taken to help.
    Dee

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  6. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Did you use chainlink fabric or paige wire? Instead of plants perhaps you could weave leaves and ribbons into the fence or attach small sculptures. I've seen painted fish cutouts attached 'in a stream' to chainlink fences around elementary schools

7. that dee girl

that dee girl Member

I went to the local garden centre here & spoke to the owner, she tells me that the deer generally don't like honeysuckle here on the island. So thank you for this suggestion, I purchased the last one she had in stock & told her to order some more for me for spring.
    Apparently it doesn't even mind our rocky soil (I use the term soil loosely).