Veitchia merrillii Winterization

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by njkiteboarder51, Nov 13, 2008.

1. njkiteboarder51

njkiteboarder51 Member

Hi everyone I am new to the forums and fairly new to Palm trees. I live in central New Jersey and planted 4 Veitchia merrillii a.k.a. Christmas Palms, this summer. They are each three trunk and have taken off. I am and the shore and the trees although not rated for the area seem to love it. From July to now they have grown an average of 4inches. I do not want to lose them and have been doing some research on how to prepare them for the winter. I plan on putting a fertilizer spike at the base of each tree, then wrapping the trunk in christmas lights and burlap, than making a wire cage around each tree out of chicken wire and rebar, than filling each cage 3/4 of the way with leaves. Finally wrapping each cage in clear marine shrink wrap to create a greenhouse effect. The lights will be on a thermostate to kick on whenever the temp drops below 32. What does everyone think of my idea. I am very open to suggests so please help i can't lose these trees!!!

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Sounds like a good idea to me... I'm guessing they're in the ground so you can't just drag them indoors for the winter?

3. njkiteboarder51

njkiteboarder51 Member

Yeah, i put them in the ground i was trying to make a tropical look. Which exactly turned out quite well i'll try to get some pictures up sometime. Being in a cold winter climate i am looking for a way to keep them alive.