Vegetable patch update

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by wolf, Oct 3, 2009.

1. wolf

wolf Active Member

We had two light frosts last month. Fortunately the damage is not significant. The water gourd plant had quite a few dead leaves and that is about it.

But on the plus side, the frost is just what I need for my Chinese radishes to crisp and sweeten up. It also helps Chinese cabbage, mustard greens and a few other things for that matter too. All these are best harvested after some frosts - though not the killing type. These things can withstand some sub-zero temperatures without much damage.

The radishes are ready to harvest, but my stomach is too busy for them right now. The read globe ones are doing exceptional well. This is the first time I grow them and they certainly do not disappoint. The bigger ones weigh around 1kg each. The green radishes are also doing quite well. Good ones, as shown in the attached picture, are about 8 inches tall, should weigh around 2kg. I shall harvest them up as soon as possible. Staying them too long in the field, as I learned last year, will render them spongy inside.

IMG_0132-1.jpg
    Red Globe Radish
    IMG_0133-1.jpg
    Green Radish
    I have hilled up a little around those Chinese green onions, to produce longer white stem. I planted them too dense and also running out of soil. Otherwise the hill should leave the leaves out only to produce maximum white stem.

IMG_0134-1.jpg
    Chinese Green Onion

The Chinese celery was sowed in early May with almost no protection. They were then transplanted in late June. They are not very heat tolerant. They did not grow much in July, only some very thin, tough and strong flavoured dark green leaves and stems. I cut them out in late July and June. They started growing fast later in August. Now they are about 1 metre long, weighing over 1 pound each. This is a very good size for Chinese celery. The stems are solid, crispy and juicy with very low fibre. Very ideal for stir fries.

IMG_0137.jpg
    Chinese Celery
    This year I have about 10 Japanese Pumpkin (Kabocha Squash) plants. Originally I had seeds for 3 varieties but the beautiful orange type were all frozen to death in May. These squashes are dry and sweet, with the texture of potatoes and tastes between sweet potatoes and chestnuts. I have about 40 of them in the field. Already given away about 15 of those babies. Must keep some for myself. My kids love them.

IMG_0135-1.jpg
    IMG_0136-1.jpg