Identification: Various mushroom for genus ID please

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by David Wong, Nov 18, 2018.

1. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

I went to Mayne Island for a week last month to see migrating shore birds. Unlike previous years with hundreds of Scoters, Turnstones and Surfbirds, there were hardly any this time. Could I blame it on climate change? Luckily there were many interesting and weird things all over the island. I spent most of the days photographing these interesting things. My back, hip and legs hurt so much that I had to take Tylenol during the second half of the week. But it was worth it.

Even with only one to three pictures of each, I ended up with hundreds of photos of mushrooms, lichens and fungi. I took their picture solely because of their beauty. Except for clearing the dirt around them before taking pictures, I did not disturb or destroy any of them. Now I am curious what they are, and want to learn more about them. Unfortunately, I did not know identifying them is very complicated, involving features from different angles, touch, smell, spores, etc. I did not record any of these because of ignorance.

Is it possible to place some of these mushrooms in their proper genus?

A - Small red and pink mushroom

B - Medium size, shiny mushroom

C - Large red mushroom

D - Medium, brown and fleshy mushroom

E - Small red mushroom

F - Small orangey-brown mushroom

G - Large white mushroom

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi David, I hope you quickly recovered from the hurts, as otherwise it sounds like it was a great trip! Perhaps bountiful mushroom seasons and bountiful bird seasons alternate :-)
    I am glad in a way that you did not disturb them, as I think it is a great thing when we leave things be, when we can do so. But yes some of our ID needs can require some disturbance - I often bring a mirror in order to see undersides when I wish to leave some things undisturbed.

So, here are genera-only for the following:

A - Small red and pink mushroom - Russula
    B - Medium size, shiny mushroom - unknown
    C - Large red mushroom - Russula
    D - Medium, brown and fleshy mushroom - one of the bolete genera (such as Suillus, Boletus, Aureoboletus, Xerocomellus), most likely Suillus
    E - Small red mushroom - Marasmius
    F - Small orangey-brown mushroom - Gomphidius
    G - Large white mushroom - probably Russula

3. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Hi Frog, I appreciate you spending time on my queries. This is of great help to me. I will read around these genus so that in the future I can at least know where to start and zoom in the specific species. Thank you.