Variegated maple tree

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Sydskid, May 28, 2021.

1. Sydskid

Sydskid New Member

Hi I live in Northern Ontario. I have a variegated maple tree which we have had for the last 3 years. It has been strong and healthy since we planted it. Believe it or not it is late spring in Thunder Bay and the leaves have just started to come out. They are not the usual bright green with yellow edges. They are very pale, sort of translucent and limp. I have no idea what is wrong with it. Can someone help, I really love this tree and don’t want it to die
    Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening and welcome to the forum, first of all how dry has it been this Spring where you are ?
    Also how is the ground around the base of the trunk? Is it over grown and so the roots are competing for water. Has the ground been trampled around the canopy of the tree ? This can cause problems with getting oxygen to the roots and cause problems.
    Sorry to ask questions to your question, but a little more info is needed I think.

D

3. Sydskid

Sydskid New Member

Hi
    We had a heavy snow fall this winter and the spring has been pretty wet, so not dry. The soil directly around the tree is good, however we are working on the grass as it has lots of weeds, plantain , dandelions and a perineal bell flower that have all gotten away from me and are in the surrounding grass around the tree. I would think that the tree would be established enough to have deep enough roots that it would not be in competition, but I don’t know for sure. I am working on hand extracting the weeds but the tree was lump before I started. I did put the hose on it and the next day it seemed a bit perkier and I also fertilized it as I was concerned about the pale colour.
    Mary

4. Sydskid

Sydskid New Member

Hi again
    And to your second question around the base of the tree has a circle of landscape fabric covered with rocks to stop the weeds, so not trampled. Should I remove that?
    Mary

5. Acerholic

Hi Mary, definatly remove that fabric and the rocks. Both are absolutely no good for your tree. All Acers are shallow rooting so it doesn't take much to cause a problem.

6. Acerholic

The watering is fine Mary, but do not fertilise as this will cause it too much stress. As per the other posting. Remove fabric and stones and water thoroughly. But then let it dry out before watering again. So IMO around 5-7 days if it is dry where you are. This you should continue until you see it pick up, then consider a watering program over the Summer months.

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Mary and D,

Just to add: your tree is called Acer platanoides 'Drumondii'. Actually I wouldn't expect water to be so much of a problem, though as said the landscape fabric and stones could be. And of course weeds can interfere with the shallow roots; 3 years isn't enough time to fully establish, though it's close. It should be pretty hardy in Thunder Bay and not bothered by snow. I wonder if you've had an unusual amount of wind? That can cause the limp leaves, especially combined with cold and wet.

'Drumondii' does vary by year as to the colors when it comes out, and even some years looks more sharply variegated than others. This is not to worry about. But, if you see any leaves that are entirely green, like a regular Norway Maple, cut those twigs out immediately. Otherwise, very soon you will have a fully green maple.

It's a pretty tough customer, so here's hoping it will recover. Personally, I'd opt for less water under the circumstances rather than more, Norway maples aren't big fans of wet. And for sure, no fertilizer! Best, -E

8. Sydskid

Sydskid New Member

Hi
    Thanks so much for all the advice, I really appreciate it and really didn’t know where to start. My neighbour has two of these variegated maples that are quite large, so when I saw that the local nursery had a couple a few years ago , I had to have one. I have enjoyed it so much and really hope it will be Ok. I will remove the lava rock and landscape fabric, I honestly thought I was helping it by keeping the weeds away. It does have two small branches that have two green leaves, I will remove them . Thanks so much
    Mary

9. Sydskid

Sydskid New Member

Update
    So..... I removed the lava rocks and landscape fabric. The soil was pretty packed with grass roots
    And thenI found this guy......! Please tell me he is not the problem with my tree. Also there was one small area that had these yellow things...... I really want them not to be eggs. I know you are tree experts and not bug experts but could this be the problem?
    And I was very happy that I was wearing gardening gloves!
    Mary

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

Good morning Mary, that looks like a female Stag Beetle and the eggs are from her. When they hatch the become small grubs that feed on rotten wood etc.
    Under the fabric is the perfect environment for them, but I don't think they are the cause for your trees demise, as they don't feed on live wood and roots. The rotting grass roots is another matter though.
    I am please you have removed the fabric and rocks as this will, definitely help yout tree.
    As per Emery, no they don't like to have wet feet all the time, hence me saying, do allow your tree to dry out in-between watering.
    It may take a few weeks for your maple to pick up, but I am hopeful that it will with the work that you have carried out already.

D

AlainK likes this.
  11. Sydskid

Sydskid New Member

UPDATE on my Maple Tree (Acer platanoides 'Drummondii!!!)
    It is doing so well after one week! Amazing! Thanks so much for the advice, I am sure those few interventions helped a lot! I am so happy!Here are a few pictures from this morning.Mary

Attached Files:

emery and Acerholic like this.
  12. Acerholic

So pleased for you Mary, it's looking wonderful.