vanda help

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by acphm, Dec 11, 2007.

1. acphm

acphm Member

I bought 3 vandas several weeks ago, 1 strap-leaf 2 mini semi-teretes. I have them in a south facing window in their original clay pots and only water once a week. I try to mist daily, but only remember 2 or 3 times. My trouble is that I can't tell whether they're dying or just poorly surviviing. The leaves near the bottom are yellowing...I've lost 4 on one alone. The minis are showing signs of new leaf growth at the tip, but I just noticed the top pair of leaves on one has a pattern on black spots. I'd like to check the roots but I can't seem to find any info on how they're supposed to look when they're healthy. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Generally Vanda's need warm temperatures, high humidity and lots of light. I do have one Vanda under lights but I'm not going to claim that it's happy (it's in a cold dim version of orchid hell). Having said that there are many Vanda orchids grown by Canadians so don't give up hope. I don't know your watering practices but a weekly soaking (like in a bucket) probably is enough in winter light but they will need more by spring. You say southern exposure, is this on a window sill (and if so how cool does it get)? Cooler temps, lower light conditions and moisture are a recipe for disaster for an southeast Asian warmth loving Vanda. Monitor your conditions with a max/min thermometer and see how your doing (I'd be thinking temps +20 C min to max +35 C). Good luck.

Shaun

3. acphm

acphm Member

Hi Shaun,

I never thought there could be a cold hell, but I think you're right...my orchids must be there too. They're on the window sill of a south-facing bay window and it does get a bit cool. My only hesitation in moving them away from the sill is the lower light intensity. But I guess that's what electric lights are for, eh?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Amy