Vaccinium parvifolium Seeds

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mcroteau1969, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcroteau1969

mcroteau1969 Active Member 10 Years

I have Vaccinium parvifolium seed which has been in cold storage (4 deg C) for about 3 mos. and 3 weeks ago I placed it in seed trays, w/ Sunshine Seed Medium, #5) with bottom heat and a top cover. I try to maintain moisture levels by watering medium 2x daily.

Does anyone know how long I should expect to wait before seedlings emerge?

- Mike

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Harry Hill

Harry Hill Member

Roberts Creek, BC (Sunshine Coast) Zone 8
    Red huckleberry seeds

Mike,

When you placed the seeds in cold storage, were they in damp peat moss or some other planting medium? This is usually required to duplicate the cold/cool stratification period (i.e. winter) the seeds would experience in nature. Storing them dry in a seed packet in the fridge will probably not satisfy that requirement.

Since you live in Victoria where red huckleberry is common, why not sow the seeds outside where they will experience natural winter conditions and then germinate in the spring as they are 'programmed' to do? This technique has worked well for me in germinating many woody native plants.

Harry Hill

4. mcroteau1969

Thank you

Thank you both for the help. I did stratify in mix of moist peat/perlite in an open container in fridge set to about 2-4 degrees C. After the seeds failed to germinate on heat mat I moved them outside. Nothing as yet so time will tell.

I suspect the seeds may not germinate. I had trouble finding a good quantity of seeds as I collected quite late in season last year. Most of the plants I found had only 3-10 berries on them and they were pale in colur and quite small and hard.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and try again next year - thaks for the great link!

M.

5. Newt

M, you are so very welcome. I do hope you get some germination, but it doesn't sound too hopeful. Thanks for the update!

Newt

6. By reputation, (and from experience) V Parv seed can take up to 12 months to germinate.

We sowed into peat/ sand in Spring '02........misted through Summer into Autumn before giving up in disgust. Spring '03 saw a pretty healthy germination.

The trays stayed in a shade house through winter (Tasmania, Aus.) Min temps ~-5c, Max ~10c.

7. mcroteau1969

Maybe next year then?

Well, I have abandoned the seed - I scattered it over-top two large doug-fir stumps in my neighbour's wooded backyard. I expect next year I may see something as the yard very closely resemble the habitat where I picked the berries last year.

I think I shall pick my berries sooner and experiment with outdoor/indoor trials.

Thank you all for your help!

Cheers,
    M.

8. Newt

M, sounds like a plan!! I hope it works for you!
    Newt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.