Using a supermarket potato for seed

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?UAOSR 20 August 2009 Supermarket Seed

This year a supermarket purchased potato was used to determine if it would be viable for home garden seed. Only one red type was planted, and the results were more than acceptable. The plant produced about 4 pounds of new potatoes.

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi durgan,

If its got eyes, they will grow.

3. Durgan

I was a a bit concerned about the producers utilizing sprout inhibitors.

4. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

I have great success with organic potatoes bought from the supermarket.
    Margaret

5. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

I get potatos growing in the top half of the compost bins from peelings. Perfectly acceptable ones, provided I don't tell my family where they came from.

Wouldn't the producer have to inform the consumer if a sprout inhibitor had been used?

6. Durgan

Not likely in North America. Food handling is in the hands of mega producers and keeping the public informed is not one of the main priorities. Rules and regulations are so relaxed and confusing that misinformation in the guise of information is the norm. My opinion.

7. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

lolol

I don't think that inhibitors are used here and from a normal spud we could grow more spuds but I don't.

We used to buy real seed potatoes (spuds) because we ran an alottment then and bought by the bag from a local shop. Use an egg box to get them going. The only thing that would enable the potatoe to stand up. We found growing red skin potatoes they were great keepers, beautiful mash.

8. nic

I don't think inhibitors are used in the UK, either, because there would have been an awful fuss about it by now, since we are all so worried about what's added to our food. I'm quite surprised that North Americans wouldn't be given the information, I do feel that people are entitled to know if chemicals have been used. We have labelling that tells us, but how accurate it is, is a matter for debate.

I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that growing too many generations of spuds from saved potatoes decreases resistance to pests and diseases, don't see why, but that's what I recall.

I haven't the room to grow potatoes properly, but I can get a meal for three by turning the compost, perhaps twice a year. Very satisfying. Food for free.

9. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Don't forget if you get big pots where you live you can grow most veg in pots, even spuds.

Carrots, Leeks etc

Your right. There is enough rubbish goes in our food, and wrapped in rubbish too. Sigh..how on earth did we manage before all that cancer ridden film was used, the film before the final carton. Its no wonder we have tons of rubbish piling up.

Not to mention efactors, dyes, preservatives in our food..the keepers that determine the 'shelf life'..

Climate change is a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion, and man made. Everything is in cartons or wrapping of one sort or another. Does everyone really recycle? I know I do everyday.

Sorry lol i am rabbiting on.

10. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I grow mine in a car tyre tower (3 high) neat and tidy new soil each year. Did store bought Kifler last season. Going to try Bintje next round. They are great all purpose spuds and good producers
    Liz

11. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Wow a car tyre..really?

I heard and saw some weird grow containers when we had the alottment, but never car tyers.

12. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I found the suggestion some where yrs ago ...probably in one of those earth garden / mother earth news type magazines.
    Liz

13. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Nic,

I hate to spoil your day, but.... the sprout inhibitor CIPC (chlorpropham) is permitted and used in UK potato production. There are EU wide regulations including a maximum permitted level of 10mg /kg in fresh product. It is clear from this webpage

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2008/...try-must-work-together-to-eliminate-cipc.html

that this level is often exceeded.

so one more thing to worry about !

sorry to break this on the weekend

Ciao
    Brian

14. nic

Not good. However, I usually buy a sack from a local grower, and by the end of the sack much sprouting is in evidence, so I'm not unduly worried.

I am NOT going to look this up to find out what it does, it's too nice a day.