URGENT!! advice needed on re-planting a mature cordyline??

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by sassypalms, Mar 24, 2007.

1. sassypalms

sassypalms Member

Hi there,

Im a new member to this site so please be patient with me.... i thanku in advance.!

We absolutely love our gardening and really have taken a shine to all 'tropical' plants but are a little unsure on a few things.we have only taken up gardening seriously in the last couple of years so have ALOT to learn !!

Getting back to the point of interest....
    we have been offered a rather large fully mature cordyline,approx 20ft in height with several 'heads'.we would absolutely love to place it in our own garden but do not really know how to go about uprooting and replanting it,with the best chance of survival? we tried a similar thing last year with a 12ft specimen but alas it didnt survive (where did we go wrong?),we thought it might have been the time of year,mid summer?

Anyway, we would so appreciate any advice on this tricky one as the current owner will uproot and throw away if no one wants it - having their front garden turned into a plant free driveway... such a shame in our eyes!!

Pleeease if anyone can help.........??

Thank-you so much for taking the time to read this.

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

As big of a root as possible, if you snap any of the roots, add a fungicide just in case (we've had a lot of rain here seems to be on the brain) Bone meal in the hole for it. Never transplant big stuff in the middle of the summer, to stressful for the plants. Water, and during dry season water well regularly for the first year as you want to make sure that it is going to live.

3. sassypalms

sassypalms Member

hi,
    thanku so much for the infomation - much appreciated.will do as you've suggested...

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Cordyline australis rarely transplant well, especially large ones. Once the large tap root is damaged, expect trouble. The best you can hope for is as Carol says.

Cheers, LPN.

5. sassypalms

sassypalms Member

thanku for letting me know this - i won't expect it to survive then and if it does,we will be really lucky..........!! lol..