update: WA state hardy citrus 2020

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by SoCal2warm, Apr 3, 2020.

1. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Member

Keraji seedling
    20200403_113729.jpg
    This is its second winter in the ground, outside.
    The 2018-2019 winter was pretty cold, and it got killed back to the ground, but this year looks like it's been easier for it. The small seedling is only a little more than an inch high.

Keraji is closely related to Satsuma, but more hardy, smaller somewhat more sour fruits, and very seedy.

Ichang papeda x kumquat hybrid seedling
    20200403_113740.jpg

Sudachi
    20200403_113800.jpg
    Sudachi is closely related to Yuzu but the fruits are usually picked while still green.

These hardy citrus varieties are pretty rare and very hard to find.

Olympia, WA, climate zone 8a
    pictures taken April 2, 2020
    None of them were protected this winter, survived out in the open, in the ground.

It will be a while until they start putting on any growth though.

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Here is a photo of a sudachi I am currently selling in North Saanich on Vancouver Island in case anyone in our area is looking for a sudachi. I made this one in my greenhouse last year :-D

20200328_162921.jpg

3. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Member

I've found that Changsha mandarin and Ichang papeda are very easy to grow from cuttings, inside (with warmth/humidity).
    The same is not true with many other varieties.

4. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Member

Ichang papeda in the ground
    20200403_151353.jpg
    It's growing on its own roots.

5. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Member

Ichang papeda (a different one, on rootstock) just beginning to leaf out now:
    20200504_163257.jpg
    see the reddish tips at the end of the branches.

Don't mind the unhealthy looking older leaves in this picture, I think an Ichang papeda's old leaves normally look better than that, this one already wasn't doing so well after being planted outside last year. The other Ichang papeda (not pictured) has greener looking leaves.

tiny Keraji seedling in ground still alive and looking good
    20200504_163418.jpg

May 4

6. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Member

Changsha mandarin
    20200507_124222.jpg
    looking very good, in a protected spot on the south-facing side of the house (but wasn't protected this winter)

Bloomsweet "grapefruit"
    20200507_124245.jpg
    probably the least hardy variety of my hardy citrus, only slightly more hardy than Satsuma mandarin I think. It managed to be able to keep about half of its old leaves. They turned very yellowish but have now been surprisingly greening up. It's just in the last week begun to put out some new leaf growth. It's up against a south-facing brick wall, but other than that wasn't protected and managed to survive through this winter. It made it through the very cold winter the year before that too, but I had put a special cover over it and it suffered some moderate damage then, did not do so well. This year it looks like it is doing just okay.

7. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Member

Yuzu seedling
    yuzuseedling-may21,2020.jpg
    growing on own roots
    It has gone through two winters without any cover over it, in the ground outside.
    The 2018-2019 was colder than usual and nearly killed it back to the ground, but it subsequently regrew, and this winter it was able to keep all its old leaves, as can be seen in the picture.

May 21, 2020