Unusual Growth on Pine

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by lanarkcp, May 22, 2008.

1. lanarkcp

lanarkcp Active Member

One of our pines very suddenly sprouted multiple vertical branches in the middle of an existing branch, all sporting new growth. It reminds me of a cancerous growth in humans. This is not really an aesthetic issue, I'm just curious.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you want to try to find it in discussions of disorders look under true fir (Abies) rather than pine (Pinus).

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a witch's broom. The older needles have all died and fallen off, but the new buds are just opening.

The tree is a Balsam Fir Abies balsamea.

4. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

Looks like quite an interesting witch's broom too !!

You might want to leave it on at least 'till next winter, and then have it propagated (i.e. grafted) by a "broom hunter".

Many prized "cultivars" sold by commercial nurseries originated from witch's brooms such as yours.... Typically, they are registered under a name chosen by the finder -- for example Abies balsamea 'Lanark CP'

5. Ron B

If it can't keep its leaves it doesn't seem like it's going to be good for much.

6. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

True.
    But it appears that more commonly, the problem with witch's brooms is the opposite: they have such dense leaf growth, that they choke themselves to death.
    I guess the question is, just how long in the growing season does this particular witch's broom keep its leaves, before they shed ? ....i.e. will it survive, grafted to a rootstock, or will it not be "good for much".

7. Ron B

What caused the deformity and why it is defoliating could be two key points. I'd think the poor needle retention could also indicate it will not lend itself to propagation.

8. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

This growth is on a Pinus sylvestris 'Beacon Hill' which is said to be a witch's broom itself. Just thought the photos might be interesting. Photos 1 and 2 from October last year, 3 from May 21/08.

Attached Files: