Unknown cultivar

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, May 26, 2021.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

image.jpg image.jpg

This is a tree I purchased during the winter, labelled as Elmwood. It didn’t take long once it started leafing out that it has Ben mislabelled. The question is... What is it? Does anyone else have one? It’s very different to anything else I have, but as each day passes or whenever I’m out looking at them, the more appeal is has. I posted some pictures yesterday by maf suggested creating a new thread regarding it. Here are some more photos incase anyone didn’t see the others.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Not going to have another shot at this, lol. But just a thought, have you sent photos to the nursery that it came from? They might ID it straight away.

3. Luke’s Maples

Good idea.. I’m on it ;-)

4. Luke’s Maples

Ok, so between Tim Nichols and I we think we’ve nailed it. Acer palmatum Sagara Nishiki.

Anybody with us on this? As I’m selling it I’d like to give it a name so I reached out to Tim. Man, that guys knows his stuff!

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good positive thread Luke. You know what I'm talking about.

D

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Has it settled down into a good yellow on green variegation now the leaves are more mature? If so, sounds like a good shout. (Would love to see an up to date picture of what it looks like at present...)

7. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

maf likes this.
  8. Luke’s Maples

I’ll take some more pics in about half hour. It may be that it is an incorrect identification. It’s certainly the closest I’ve gotten thus far.

maf and LoverOfMaples like this.
  9. Luke’s Maples

Here we go..

Tim’s other suggestion was Nishiki Gasane. He said if it doesn’t turn out to be one of those two I’ve likely got something I can name.

Attached Files:

10. Luke’s Maples

Might hang on to this one and let the MS decide whether I can name it. What would that mean for me?

the pics is Sagara Nishiki and Nishiki Gasane aren’t close enough for me to rule it out. Who get to decide? Is there any benefit for owning your ‘own’ maple. Would I be able to grow and sell I for scion wood or something. Being able to name a maple is cool enough, but if it had financial benefit as a bonus then I’d be over the moon.

I do feel like I’m due some ‘good luck’ :-)

Acerholic likes this.
  11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@Luke’s Maples, seeing the recent pictures, Tim's suggestion looks pretty good to me. Variegation pattern looks right for both 'Sagara nishiki' and 'Nishiki gasane' but leaf shape and form looks more right for 'Sagara nishiki'. Some recent books say they are synonyms but I think most people accept they are two different cultivars. Vertrees second edition has a good description of the differences between them ('Sagara nishiki' was removed from the fourth edition), and in the photo gallery threads on this forum there are comments from people who grow both and find them to be different.

I hope you keep this maple and enjoy it! If I am uncertain of an ID of my own maples it is always good to grow it for a year or two and observe over time. Many subtle differences or characteristics can only be noticed this way.

Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.