Umbrella "tree"

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by PamelaDee, Aug 23, 2010.

1. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

I have a schefflera arboricola that is about 5 feet tall. I am wondering if I removed the lower leaves (to give it a more "tree" look) if that would damage the plant? Would it make it grow more? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      152.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Well...I regard a cut on a plant as I do a cut in human skin: when there is an opening, there is a chance for bad stuff to get in. Of course, if one uses disinfected and sharp clippers, and basic common sense, all will probably be OK. But I am no advocate of unnecessary surgery!

And I truly do not believe that such an action would be of any benefit, either to the plant or to the enhancement of its tree-like configuration.

Give us a photo, and we can give you more specific advice.

3. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

So there are small plants started towards the bottom so it's bushier. I have seen these plants look more like a tree with a canopy. Mine would take awhile since it isn't very thick at the top. But my thought was, if the plant didn't have to focus on leaves at the bottom, and I pinched off the top.... maybe it would make the canopy look!