Ultimate size of Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Pendula' in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by cindys, Sep 19, 2006.

1. cindys

cindys Active Member

In 1995, I planted a Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Pendula' (weeping katsura tree) in my front yard in Vancouver. My neighbourhood has nice acidic soil for maybe a foot, then you run into clay. The front yard faces West, so the tree gets full sun from the south and partial sun from the west (large trees on the boulevard give a bit of shade). The tree grew fairly slowly for the first few years, then we put in a more extensive front garden and added an automatic sprinkling system. For the past 3 years, the tree has done very well. It is now about 8 feet tall with a spread of about 15 feet. I have seen various estimates of the ultimate size of this tree...ranging from 15-25 feet and even higher. It is, however, not the height, but the spread that I am concerned about. I have seen the weeping katsura near the waterfall at Van Dusen Botanical Garden and figure that it is probably at least 20 feet high with an equal spread. My tree looks more like the Van Dusen tree than the Morioka weeping variety shown in the photo posted by Daniel Mosquin elsewhere in the forum. Am I looking at a 25 foot spread in the future? More? And, with my soil conditions, will that future be sooner or later?!!! I don't mind moving the plants near the tree as it begins to encroach on them, but if it really spreads too wide, it will take out my path! If it will get very large, is it possible to move it without killing it?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Morioka Weeping' is differentiated by being able to build substantial height with age, in the manner of Fagus sylvatica 'Pendula', to make a spectacular specimen. It was circulated earlier as C. magnificum 'Pendulum' by mistake, still is by those not aware of/ignoring its new name. C. japonicum 'Pendulum' seldom produces more than a broad mound or dome ("leaning haystack") without staking. You could train yours up a pole to make a taller shape that could be walked under, or dig it up and move it to a better spot.

Mine is also rapidly growing sideways.

3. cindys

cindys Active Member

Thanks, Ron. I had another look at the tree near the waterfall at Van Dusen Garden and think mine should be ok where it is. As it spreads, the branches are less likely to reach all the way to the ground, so we should still be able to maintain the path to our backyard! I have moved a few plants that are definitely being swallowed up.