Ukigomo Reversion

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Bill, May 25, 2008.

1. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

I picked up an Ukigomo, which should have similar colouration to other tricolor white, green. pink cultivars like Asahi Zuru or Kagira Nishiki.

When I bought it, the leaves had fallen for the fall. Now it is leafing out and the 4' tree has all but one branch in green which although attractive on its own is not what I was expecting.

Does this cultivar easily revert to green, and if so should I prune off much of the green foliage? Don't want to take it all as it would only leave one branch out of maybe 10!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Actually it isn't like those, it has a different kind of coloring - but it should be mostly colored. Either yours has reverted or there will be more variegation on subsequent growth. In both instances it seems there is no point in cutting off most of the branches. Wait a few months (or years) to be sure it has reverted before giving up on it.

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Your Ukigomo will be fine
    Give it time to show of its best

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

What Sam is saying (if I may be permitted) is that the new growth very often doesn't show the true variegation. Next year, once settled, it will probably show its true colors.

-E

5. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

Thank you gentlemen. I will give it time!

Now I just need to find planting spots for about 11 Acers, 5 Magnolias and 35 more rhodos......

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Thanks Emery ... spot on
    Sometimes I am a man of too few words :)