UBCBG maintenance

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Sea Witch, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

I'm curious--who looks after the weeding/pruning/maintenance of the Garden to keep it in tiptop shape? Is there a staff for this?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

There is a partial listing of staff here:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/contact (Hey! My name is misspelled. Doh!)

As far as actually weeding and maintaining the plants, in addition to the 3 curators, there are 7 permanent horticulturist (one is responsible for Nitobe Memorial Garden) and one horticulturist on staff for the summer term. When funds are available, summer student help is recruited for weeding and maintenance.

This is a unionized work place, so other staff are not generally involved in maintenance work. One day a year (maybe it's 2 days) members of the Friends of the Garden come in for a weeding day.

So, a fairly small staff keeps this fairly large garden in shape and they do a remarkable job. Kudos to all of them.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

They're knowledgeable too, and really nice about answering questions from pesky visitors, if the way they treat me is anything to go by.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Does that mean you're pesky?

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Sometimes I think maybe it's possible that I could be.