Two for ID next to the office

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by wcutler, Oct 9, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The first one I expect to be a Fabaceae, but do those have to have enlarged pulvini (thickening at the base of the leaflets)? I can't really see the the main leaf attachments. Ha! Maybe it's a fern? Douglas Justice's October 2020 in the Garden - UBC Botanical Garden blog talked about appreciating shapes and patterns of leaf arrangements when seen from above. I did a better job of appreciation once I got back on solid ground; I was still looking down on this, but from the boardwalk next to the Campbell Building, I think to the east. Double-compound leaves. I assume the yellow leaf margins are from lack of sun or nutrients and not characteristic, but they certainly add to the striking effect. I don't see any spines.
    Fabaceae-DoubleCompoundLeaves_UBCBG_Cutler_20201008_152302.jpg

Right next that is this plant with palmately compound leaves in 5's. Branching is alternate (should rule out all Aesculus, is that right?). The nodes seem to often have a leaf and then a branch growing from that node. Stems seem to be white. I can't tell if the third photo is a different variety of the same plant, or if it's the same plant but the yellow margins are signs of stress. Again, the "variegation" looks very attractive.
    Palmately-compound-leaves-5merous_UBCBG_Cutler_20201008_152309.jpg Palmately-compound-leaves-5merous_UBCBG_Cutler_20201008_152313.jpg Palmately-compound-leaves-5merous_UBCBG_Cutler_20201008_152333.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pretty sure the second one is Rubus lineatus.

3. wcutler

Yes, for sure, thank you - the background in one of the photos on Garden Explorer is the same as in my photo, so these are on the west side of the building, if the Garden Explorer marker is correct. Silky leaved bramble. Too bad I couldn't get to the leaf backs, which look white and fuzzy.
    Rubus lineatus - silky leaved bramble | UBC Botanical Garden

On this Rubus lineatus | Landscape Plants | Oregon State University page, people are quoted:
    • "The most beautiful leaves of any Rubus." Graham Stuart Thomas
    • "One of the most beautiful plants of the entire genus." Gred Krussman
    The new leaves are particularly attractive, from the photo on that page. Nearly thornless, and edible fruits too.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What kind of stem structure does the first one have, below the level of the foliage?

5. wcutler

I think somebody from the garden would have to photograph that. I have just zoomed in here on my photo and brightened it, not sure that's helpful enough.
    Fabaceae-DoubleCompoundLeaves_UBCBG_Cutler_20201008_152302c.jpg

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey. I just looked up the little mystery plant. It's a young Gymnocladus chinensis.

7. wcutler

Thank you, Eric! Whew - a Fabaceae. :)
    Wikipedia says it's extremely rare. And slow-growing. Leaves turn yellow in the fall, so maybe this appearance is natural.

8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Leaves of Robinia aren't three times divided.

wcutler likes this.
  10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

At first glance however, the two trees do look similar don't they? Both Fabacea?

11. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks more like a Gleditsia to me?

12. wcutler

Way prettier. We're talking about what it resembles, not what it is, right? Yes, all trees mentioned here are Fabaceae, a family that has a lot of trees having compound leaves with somewhat similar
    shaped leaflets. Wikipedia says the leaves on this are bipinnate, as does this North Carolina Extension Gardener page: Gymnocladus chinensis (Chinese Coffee Tree, Soap Tree) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox.
    The leaves are described as huge. Here is a photo of the young leaves.
    Gymnocladus chinensis
    That nursery page says it wants to be planted in full sun, and "it is a fickle and difficult plant if planted in a poor position, if disturbed once planted and can be damaged in cold winters without protection. As such, it is not covered by our guarantee." It seems like it's in a pretty good location, and should easily reach up to the boardwalk where I can get a better look at it.