Tulip tree dying

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by the man, Aug 13, 2007.

1. the man

the man Member

Right now I am in Ontario and I am near the lake so it gets cooler in Kingston.

We had so many days of sun but the temperatures are not that high.
    Like around 30C to 32C. We had intense humidity. I do not know why it would do much harm to my tulip tree. My tree has leaves that are brown and they are crunchy and dry and they will burn up in 2 seconds. It had some chewed bark in the winter and I touched and it was like it was dead. July had some big thunderstorms that might had tornadoes also. I took the hose to it but still
    no sign of life. I need help! I have to know that its not very old. I saw many like these size in Georgia
    and they do great.

Also my lawn is burnt and even big trees are looking bad.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like it needs to be watered.

3. the man

the man Member

I sprayed the bottom of the trunk where the roots are and I might do it again today. Last night I did it 10 minutes. I just got to keep watering it.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Poke around in the soil and check soil moisture. If it has gotten dried out and is not mulched, mulching could help once soil is re-moistened.

5. smivies

smivies Active Member

Not a great tree for shallow upland soils cover limestone that we typically have in Kingston, coupled with the annual summer drought. It will do much better on deeper soils which in Kingston, are not that common.

If it survived, it will need regular irrigation for the next few years until fully established.

6. Luv2Grdn

Luv2Grdn Active Member

You said that something chewed on it in the winter time? It didn't chew all the way around the trunk of the tree. Rabbits love to gird a tree in the winter.
    Did this happen? It could be a combination of the girding and stress of lack of water this year?
    Could try leaving the hose on a trickle over night.

Tulip trees are so beautiful. I hope you don't have to start over with a new one.

7. the man

the man Member

Luv2grdn The rabbits chewed it when the snow was high. I put a cover around it.It was not chewed deep, just scraped a bit. I payed $250.00 for that tree. yeah I do not want to lose it. My well
    is to low for the hose now :(

smivies and Ron B I hammered a pipe in the ground and the hollow part collects the soil. It was not really soil, It was red sand
    like clay. There was no moisture at all. Dry as a bone. I bet there is no moisture down as deep of the well. There is some limestone and bits of shale. I know somebody in Belleville and Trenton having problems too. I will go with the idea with the mulching Ron B.Its so warn down that I can make trails in it by hit it.

I have Pictures of the ground and soil also the hole.

Attached Files:

8. smivies

smivies Active Member

Ah-ha, good demonstration on why Oak, Hickory, and Eastern Red Cedar are the predominant trees on that soil type in the area. There are others of course, but the big and majestic Carolinian Bottomland species just don't fair well on such soils.