Trying to identify this year's favourite A.P.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by interactbiz, Jun 28, 2008.

1. interactbiz

interactbiz Active Member

We have about 30 different A.P. and each year another tree seems to gain stature as the favourite. The pictured tree maintains its bright red colour very well, better than any other in our collection. (The leaves show darker in the picture because of light.) It has been in our yard for a couple of years but we don't know the proper name. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

maybe Fire Glow..

3. interactbiz

interactbiz Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Color is about right although fireglow seems a little darker. Also, I think my tree's leaves have sharper serrations.

Accurate naming of each of our trees is difficult, perhaps impossible. I'm trying to put a photo journal together that displays development over time for each tree. I'm confident about the names of more than half of our specimens but am trying to fill in the blanks. There are so many named varieties and even the retailers get those wrong sometimes. Perhaps it shouldn't matter. After all, each tree is what it is. Maybe I'll just use generic feature terms like dissectum, linearilobum, variegated, etc.

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Looks more like "Shojo nomura' or 'Yezo Nishiki'...

K4