Trunk problem on maple tree

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Sandra VanderPloeg, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Sandra VanderPloeg

Sandra VanderPloeg New Member

upload_2020-6-29_13-28-28.jpeg

I noticed loose bark on my maple tree, this is what it looks like underneath! Any idea of what’s going on and how to treat it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2020
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Sandra, that is quite severe and it maybe a pathogen stemming from the roots called Phytophthora, it works it's way up the tree and can be terminal.
    Poor drainage around a tree can promote this pathogen that lays dormant to some degree. Water helps the spores to spread. An excessively wet Winter and Spring can exasperate the problem.
    If the damage has girdled your tree then it is game over. If not then I would remove any loose bark, but not all the way around. The use of Hydrogen peroxide has been somewhat effective in lesser attacks.
    IMO, I feel you should contact an arborist to make an assessment and if the tree is removed do not plant a susceptible tree or plant in its place as this pathogen can stay in your soil for many years.

On the other hand it could be water ingress during the winter in the bark that had split causing rot and infestation, but I do not think so.

Sorry to not have any good news for you, but others might disagree with my opinion.