Truncatum VS Mono Germination

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Eric Hammond, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Eric Hammond

Eric Hammond New Member

Hi, I have grown lots of Acer mono and Acer truncatum so my practical experience tells me these species are different. Their germination habits demonstrate this. Truncatum has an unusual feature of hypogeal germination, that is the cotyledons do not emerge from within the seed - it just pops out of the soil with its first two leaves. Mono should have 'normal' epigeal germination with cotyledons emerging from the seed and the ground.

However I am stumped to find this documented (from behind the Chinese firewall at least.) Can anyone give me reference to documentation in their differences in germination? Thank you.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Eric,

Yes actually, Maples of the world (van Gelderen et al, 1994) mentions this specifically:

"One of the specific features of A. truncatum is that it develops cotyledons under the soil surface, something no other related Acer species does. The first things to be seen are the true leaves."

This is in context of distinguishing between Acer pictum (which is the agreed name) and ssp., and the related Acers truncatum and cappadocicum.

I noticed this germinating truncatum seed from Beijing. True Acer pictum (ssp mono, or other) is quite a rarity here, and though I have a few I find the seed from garden sources (including mine!) seems often crossed with platanoides.

Hope that helps!

cheers, -Emery

AlainK likes this.
  3. Eric Hammond

Eric Hammond New Member

Emery - yes, I suspected that is where I had read it but don't have my copy with me in China. Thank you.