Identification: truffles from Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by MycoRob, Feb 3, 2009.

1. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Anyone have any clue on these? they were forwarded from a friend. The routinely eat them, but they just call them truffles.

Attached Files:

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Truffles?, sorry no, one could only wish, these are called Jerusalem artichokes... a tuber that cooks/tastes much like a spud!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Here are some cell phone pictures showing how they are found in the desert. The 2 inch plants around don't look like the 'Jerusalem artichoke' plants I find through Google's image search.

Attached Files:

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hmmm, very interesting!

What do they weigh in at? ie feel heavy or light as air? Have you tasted them?

I stand corrected if they in fact are a fungus...

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Tom Volk has a great page about desert truffles --> http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/jan2007.html. Looks like the truffles in the pictures above fit the bill. As far as specific information about them, communication to the people in Saudi Arabia who took these photos may take awhile.

It seems like these may be from the genus Tirmania or Terfezia.

6. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

When I first saw these, and before reading K Baron's report, I was also reminded of Jerusalem Artichoke tubers. These are a noxious weed, I believe originally from eastern North America but that have been used as a food crop over much of the world. During the winter, even our mild Coastal BC one, the above-ground plant dies off completely, so under certain conditions they might be found in bare ground.

Here in Victoria, BC, we can buy them at some of the fancier markets for about $3.99 a pound, and they are also grown by some as an ornamental.

They contain inulin, an indigestible sugar also found in Dahlia and some other tubers, and are very good for promoting healthy gut flora. It is an ingredient in GreensPlus and other health/nutraceutical products. Beware if you eat them, because the effect of favouring healthy gut flora is to kill off the pathogenic ones, and these smell TERRIBLE as they die and release gases. This lasts about four days - four stinky unpleasant days.

A lot of plants of the yam family have vines similar to what you show there. It is also possible that those tiny things are the resting phase of a plant that is much bigger at a different time of year.

The thing to ask your friends is: Are those little plants attached to the bodies that they harvest ? and are these pictures from the dry season, and if so, what is there the rest of the year?

Even a good red herring is welcome when mushrooms are scarce.

Best regards

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  7. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Hi Rob,
    I stand corrected. Having visited Volk, they are evidently truffles.

It is impressive how large they are, if indeed they are produced mycorrhizally with the tiny plants we saw there.

As with all such things, I wonder how they taste.

Best regards

8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Heya Rob...in the 'special' issue of the magazine FUNGI....the Voume 1 No.3: Fall 2008 issue is about truffles all over the world...with a chapter titled 'Medicinal Mushrooms...Truffles Roasting in the Evening Fires...Pages from the History of Desert Truffles by Elinoar Shavit'..........u can email Brit at bbunyard@wi.rr.com or go to their website at www.fungimag.com if you're interested more in these?