Identification: Tropical(?) Plant ID Please - safe for my cat?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Susan J, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Susan J

Susan J New Member

Hello,

A friend rescued this plant from her compost at her building at the beginning of the summer. She was unable to keep it so passed it along to me. I like the plant but need to know what it is because I have a cat who is likely to try to eat it. Currently, I have it on a top shelf where kitty cannot reach it.

The plant seems fairly hardy. My friend had it, and watered it, outside all summer including during our Vancouver August heat. But it is unhappy with the cooler weather we are currently having (approx. 9C at night).

Does anyone know what this plant is? I need to know the ID so I can know if I am able to move it into my apartment properly, or if I need to find it a new (feline-less) home.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

This looks like a canna. There should be a fat rhizome close to the surface of the soil. They are sub-tropical to tropical and are likely to die back to soil surface in colder climes. Even in Florida, I'd be trimming this one back when the leaves start to brown. Cannas are related to bananas and gingers and will not harm the cat.