trillium from seed

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Michelle Elayne, May 12, 2008.

1. Michelle Elayne

Michelle Elayne Member

Good morning all,
    I was given a pouch of seeds almost ten years ago, which I think was trillium from my mother-in-law. I read an article on germinating seed in chamomille tea inside folded paper coffee filters - voila 100 % success - not bad for old seeds. I then placed them in clear plastic pastry boxes and they are all well over 2" tall. But I'm not sure they are in fact trilliums. The've split into two little "rounded heart" shaped leaves. I was assuming they would have three, but maybe that happens when they get bigger. Does anyone know what trillium seedlings look like? Also this was my first attempt at germinating anything and I am absolutely hooked. Now I am germinating at least 10 more packs of veggies and flowers and calling a window company to replace my sliding glass door with a garden window ! Guess I stumbled on my passion. My husband wants to know where I am going to plant all these seedlings..............

2. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

I have never started Trillium from seed but have had them reseed and they do have two leaves. what a clever idea you have there...maybe I will try that with something...I am terrible with seeds of any kind.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

That is good germination, especially from a plant that can take three years to germinate! Be prepared to wait for the flowers however, they will take at least 5 years to start to bear.

4. Michelle Elayne

Michelle Elayne Member

Thanks for the reply, I actually just planted them under some trees, will keep my fingers crossed. This is my first attempt at germination, I find it quite intriguing. I germinated my vegetables this way as well, although, yesterday I discovered they are difficult to handle when sowing directly into the garden because the tiny new growth stick together (please excuse the lack of correct term) I have now started to make small plants indoors prior to placing them in the garden. What a delight this is !