Trees for wet east louisiana

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by graftedmaplecollector, May 19, 2004.

1. graftedmaplecollector

graftedmaplecollector Active Member 10 Years

hello, im currently filling in about 6 acres i own with trees. However its in
    a rather low wet area with only about 3 to 4 feet of good topsoil
    the low subsoil being clay. Currently im growing with good success weeping willows and willows, bald cypress, river and heritage birch, water and
    shumardi red oaks, and live oak. And I would like to know what other trees
    I can plant in there as well preferably something pretty.thanks so much for the replies.
    P.S. Also i have drummond red maples as well thanks again.

2. graftedmaplecollector

graftedmaplecollector Active Member 10 Years

3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I just found this today, and now that 18 months have passed, how about an update, if the list isn't too long? Quercus shumardii colors extremely late here, even in December, and with a hue that is so different from any of the Acer I have seen. I am going to plant one at my mom's in Idaho to see how it fares there. It looks to grow quite fast, and given that it grows in your wet soil, I think that I will plant it where it will get the most water. I have just a moment now, but wonder if you have planted Astilbe of various hues? It is a challenge here because the soil is so sandy where I wanted to place them, so they are in pots waiting for a new location. Know that the single species rose, Rosa palustris - swamp rose, will grow in water; I have seen photographs of it looking so beautiful reaching out over the edge of a man-made pond. It is native to the U.S. so should not be too difficult to find, and certainly easy to root a cutting.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

taxodium and metasequoia