Tree suggestions

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Quincys Slave, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

Hello all, I'm looking for ideas for a tree for our backyard to add privacy between us and a neighbor. I want something that won't get too tall or wide and will provide some color and interest. We already have a Gingko, Snowbell, Redbud, Katura and a Dogwood.

My thoughts are

Kousa Dogwood
    Crape Myrtle
    Japanese Tree Lilac
    Japanese Stewartia
    Paperbark Maple

The exposure is south, hot sun, soil is heavy clay amended with garden soil. Not interested in Magnolia as I've had no luck with them in the past.

Any other suggestions?

2. Anna Kadlec

Anna Kadlec Active Member 10 Years

One of the smaller Japanese Maple trees... my personal favourite is the red-leaved 'Beni Otaki'. Coral bark maples are particularly interesting in the winter.

Be forewarned about Paperbark Maples: They are one of the LAST trees / shrubs in the garden to get their leaves in the spring. Not great if you're looking for privacy (and pretty scary if it makes you think that it died over the winter).

Why not look at evergreen trees? They will provide privacy and colour year round. One that comes to mind is Arbutus unedo - it has nice shiny green leaves, small flowers that the hummingbirds love, and bright red fruits to enjoy visually in the winter (they don't taste like much). It's also a fast grower.