British Columbia: Tree suggestion for sandy soil

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by westgatea, Jul 13, 2010.

1. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

My arbutus is sadly expiring (virus I suspect) and I want to replace it with a FAST growing tree, preferably deciduous. Fall colour or spring blossoms would be a bonus but not essential. Soil, almost pure sand, sheltered but sunny area next to wobbly fence. Roots of arbutus and large stump of old (fir?) tree will remain, so it must be able to wiggle it's roots around obstacles. Any suggestions?

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Perhaps a Robinia pseudoacacia of some sort: gold-leafed and pink flowered cultivars are available.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

Yes, I've been checking it out and that does seem a good option. I'm guessing about $50 for a reasonable sized one ... I' going to wait until the fall, when it is cooler. Thanks for the suggestion.... I think that is the right one!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Consider this one carefully: it is out of leaf for long periods, when the aspect is then gaunt, and it is at all times spiny and often suckerous. A commonly seen thing, you should go look at some existing black locust trees and take the measure of them before bringing one onto your place.

5. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I know you stated deciduous, but why not a Pine, so many that can be trimmed as with a bonsai effect, and sand isn't an issue at all.... Paulownia tomentosa is another option, but you may need to enrich the perimeter dig site with humus.. water in summer, but cut back or pollard every winter... makes a great show tree either way...and it grows very fast up to 15m.

6. ian66

ian66 Active Member

Elaeagnus angustifolia
    ( Russian Olive )

Ian

7. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

I am seriously considering a Pyrus "Chanticleer".... any comments on this one?

8. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I understood Pyrus needs full sun?

9. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

It get s pretty much full sun. I think it will be fine there.

10. mort

mort Active Member

I would like to put in a vote for giving the arbutus another chance to recover. Many of ours on the island were hit hard a couple of years ago leaving mostly black leaves. They are generally making a good recovery, even those that were cut to the ground. It sounds like the site is well suited to what is there currently. Failing that, how about a native Garry oak tree? They seem to live in pockets of soil similar to arbutus. At the very least, the arbutus branches would make a lovely trellis for clematis. good luck!

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A slow-growing, shade-intolerant tree Garry oak seems to grow anywhere it can live for a long time without other trees elbowing it aside. Soils and precipitation appear to be mostly secondary concerns.

Page 493 of the 2002 edition of The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs (Hillier Nurseries/David & Charles, Newton Abbot) lists

Acer negundo
    Ailanthus altissima
    Betula
    Castanea
    Cercis
    Gleditsia
    Ilex aquifolium
    Populus alba
    Populus tremula
    Robinia

as "suitable for dry acid soils".

This would, of course be referring to "dry acid soils" in Britain, where unlike here it usually rains throughout the year. And there will be inherent drawbacks to several of the trees listed, that need to be weighed against their attractive features.

12. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

What's wrong with the good-old Shore Pine (Pinus contorta)? An admirable addition to any coastal garden...all these imports...Harrumph! I think we should all have 100 mile gardens, eat a 100 mile diet & holiday 100 miles from home!

gb

13. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

I don't want an evergreen, as a large cedar is looming close to the fence and hedges of pyramids surround the place, with pines in the garden on the other side! So.... thanks but no thanks!

14. Jeff Koelewyn

Jeff Koelewyn New Member

The actual plant is Pyrus 'Cleveland Select' Chanticleer is merely a trademark and not the identity of the plant