tree rose

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by antonio, Jun 14, 2005.

1. antonio

antonio Member

Hello everyone. I have several tree roses which are irrigated automatically. One sprinkler wasn't working and as a result, one tree rose has stunted canes. They are about half the length of the others. It looks silly but (appears healthy otherwise) and has blooms. What can I do, if anything to get them to their full length? Would pruning them now be wise? Or is this year a lost cause? Has something similar happened to anyone out there? Any advice/expertise would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: treee rose

Restore the irrigation, what for it to get bigger. Or replace with a larger specimen. Cutting it back won't make it bigger.

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Re: treee rose

I don't think I quite understand what you mean by tree roses. In the rose trade, a tree rose would be a standard. This is a rose variety with the deisired flowers, grafted on top of a straight stem of a root stock. This "trunk" is usually 36 inches tall. (It may be to be shorter if the grafted rose is a miniature). So by definition, a true "tree rose" should have a straight 36 inch bare trunk, on top of which grows the desired rose variety. You say that the sick rose has canes much shorter than the others. Do you mean canes emerging from the top of the trunk? If not, then there is a problem or else, we are talking about different things altogether.

Roses do not tolerate out very well. If your rose has been subjected to severe drying out, it may take months to recover. Don't expect much new growth out of it for a little while. And do expect some die back. The problem is what you don't see - underground. The root system takes a bad hit and usually incurs significant damage. Until the root system has had an opportunity to fully recover and regenerate, your rose will remain small. Your best bet is to give it all the TLC you can spare - best position in a sunny sheltered spot, kept well watered, and regularly fertilised.

4. sinna

sinna Member

First of all get about 1/2 cup of epsom salt & sprinkle on the ground next to the base. Water & In 1 week you will see new leaves. You can do this 1 time a month! #2 Go to home depot and buy bayer advanced rose & flower care! Use that every 6 weeks. I promise you will never use anything again! You can get cow poop & put it in a nylon stocking & tie it in a knot. Fill a bucket with water & leave in for 2 days taking the stocking & twisting the juice out. This is black gold for the rose tree! Good luck!