transporting roses 1700 km

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Caroline, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Caroline

Caroline Member

Hello,

I am moving about 1700 km away. I want to take my roses with me. I bought them bare-root and planted them in early spring of this year (2003). They established themselves nicely, some bloomed repeatedly (don juan, a climber). One's a climber, the other's a "rambler."

I suppose I could move them in their pots, but I worry about the agricultural implications of moving all that soil.

Can I move them bare-root, and if so, what's the procedure? The move is in mid-January of 2004.

Thanks. I promise to check with the authorities to see if this is legal, too.

CC

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Bare root would probably be the best method for long distance travel. You need to cut the plant back hard, to about a foot long stems and dig the plant up. Remove the soil from the roots using running water or gently with compressed air. Store them at near freezing to keep them dormant and pack some shredded newspaper or the like around them with some moisture to keep them from drying out. To transport to the US or from the US to Canada you must have an inspection done called a "Phyto" or phytosanitary certificate, it doesnt cost much ($25 minimum) and takes a day or two to get the appointment for the inspector to come out and do the work.

3. Caroline

Caroline Member

Thanks very much.

I completed the move, and re-potted the roses. They are doing very well and seem to be quite thrilled at their new climate

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004