transplanting sword ferns

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by alberni, Feb 17, 2006.

1. alberni

alberni Member

Does anyone know the right time of year for transplanting sword ferns from the bush to the garden on Vancouver Island?

2. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

Sword ferns, can be moved almost anytime of year, not recommended in the high heat of Summer, though. I have salvaged ferns,through most of the seasons with good results. Do not plant them deeper, than found, they are shallow rooting. Horrible to move in Summer when the spores are released. They also can be divided if required.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I have transplanted, divided and hacked away at Polystichmum m. (sword fern) by the dozens...all with success...remove some foliage once transplanted...also dividing the clumps provides a filled in gardenscape, give it moisture as needed. I have had best success in the spring and fall. The winter winds have had a drying effect on some of the fronds, so perhaps March to April for transplanting time? I have plantings in full to partial sun, all have survived relocation. Expect stunted growth in the first season.
    Good Luck!
    KRB

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Right about now would be good, maybe wait until after current cold spell. I wouldn't want to disturb them after new fronds start coming out.

5. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Since my last message, Coquitlam had a nasty winter wind, and nearly half of my Polystichum m. have the dreaded winter burn/dry out on parts of the fronds, If I gave out any wrong advice please let me know. I will be watering these new transplants pronto, baring any more cold days ahead...I too would proceed with transplanting/dividing the ferns in March.