Transplanting Daphne Odora

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by RosemaryB, Nov 19, 2005.

1. RosemaryB

RosemaryB Member

I understand it is difficult to transplant daphne odora but would like to know if it is at all possible. I live in the Salem, Oregon, area and have one that is about 3 years old and it is doing very well where it is, facing east in the front of my house. However, I have to move in about 2 months and would like to take it with me. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is possible, I moved three small ones once and they all grew on happily and bloomed well the first year after moving. I did not disturb their roots much and moved them to a very similar site (same property, same soil).

These are wonderful plants. You may want to leave it and plant several new ones at your new home. I have moved several times in my life and I plant Daphne odora at each new place because I love the smell so much I want to spread it around.

3. Thanks for the info. You've given me new hope. This particular one was a present and I wanted to move it about 14 miles away to a new home and was hoping that it would transplant well.