Transplant problem

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by jdupas, Mar 10, 2008.

1. jdupas

jdupas Member

I just purchased several container roses last week. My husband transplanted them to the ground yesterday. Two out of seven of the containers the soil separated from the roots. I was concerned and watered well. I came home from work today and one of them has began wilting all of its new growth. What do I do? I don't want to overwater. This is the first time I have encountered this in eight years and over 30 bushes. I am in south Louisiana, the temperatures have been moderate 60-70 degrees during the day, really beautiful. However, we have rain coming tonight, so I am really concerned about over watering it.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you don't turn the soil to smelly mud it won't be getting overwatered. If lots of hot sun occurs later you might want to shade the affected plants for awhile. Probably they will stop wilting later.

3. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Give it a month and see if new shoots appear and if not take it back for a replacement. Often nurseries plant bare root rose into containers and they really don't get time to start to root before you buy them and take them out of the pots and disturb them. Your concern about over watering is legitimate but as long as the soil drains well there should not be a problem.

4. jdupas

jdupas Member

They seem to have perked right back up. I watered them and we had a good rain. Hopefully, they will keep striving. Thanks.