Training as entryway plant

Discussion in 'Maples' started by PoorOwner, Mar 31, 2006.

1. PoorOwner

PoorOwner Active Member 10 Years

I have chosen an Acer Palmatum Burgundy Lace as an entryway plant (3' tall).

While it is upright and shrub like, I would like to train it into a miniature tree form. That is, show the trunks and let foilage appear at eye level and above as it grows. I was wondering should I prune off the lower branches and leaves now while it is young or, what is the best way to achieve this effect.

I am guessing the main trunk will be grown to 3" trunk and 7-8 feet tall after 10+ years. I have seen some acer P. kept in tight spaces as foundation plants but the "limped up" although it seemed like a much later decision... I have seen pictures that Mr. Shep presented and they are close to the house but he has managed to train it that way.

Your advice is appreciated.

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

No, whatever you do don't take off the lower (lowest) branch now, it's going to make the lower trunk fatter and stronger, and will increase the tapering effect to make it more interesting and 'older' looking (just like bonsai). Also it's too late in the season really to be pruning maples at all, the right time would have been late fall thru late winter. At some point you might want to consider tying down (slightly) for 1-2 yrs branches growing sideways to increase the windswept, or semi-cascade effect, depending on the tree's natural growth habit, just for interest's sake.