trailing indoor plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rosslyn, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Rosslyn

Rosslyn Member

I am thinking of hanging a plant next to a west facing window high up near the ceiling on top of a stairwell. I guess I have to install a pully system so that the basket can be lowered for watering. The plants ideally suited for this condition would be a succulent or a cactus which requires infrequent watering. Can anybody suggest any plants that can produce masses of stems/leaves that trail over the basket for my requirements?

2. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

You may want to try ceropegia woodii or rosary vine. It likes bright light and can withstand lack of water because it stores water in tubers and partly in its fleshy leaves. It can have a large gap between leaves though but it grows fast and should fill the space with masses of vines and tiny umbrella shaped flowers. There are also some newer varieties that have pink tinged leaves. They can survive in small pots for a long time.

Alternatively you can try hanging baskets filled with spider plants (chlorophytum I think). My folks had masses of these for a long time and they created a living curtain of plantlets for years. They need a small bit of feeding with each watering. They tend to create more babies when they're potbound which may take a while. They're fairly low maintenance but when they get growing fast they can require a lot of water.

As for cacti and such for hanging baskets you may want to try some of the jungle cacti like the christmas or easter cacti or a rattail cactus and such but I have little experience with growing them in baskets.

Good luck!

Ryan

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

4. newbieplantlover

newbieplantlover Active Member

Definatly sounds like a good spot for a hoya. Good old hoya carnosa would be great there, they liked to be watered well then allowed to dry out quite a bit before needing water again.

5. Rosslyn

Rosslyn Member

Thanks. Can you suggest which places I would most likely obtain a Hoya plant from? I live in Southern Ontario.