To plant or not to plant

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by ceres, Nov 4, 2005.

1. ceres

ceres Member

I was seduced by end of season discount adds into purchasing Scilla siberica and Chinodoxa bulbs which I have just received. I now have second thoughts on whether it is too late to plant them. Technically the garden is located in zone 4B but is probably closer to zone 3 because of altitude. We have not had heavy frost yet (an unusal occurence) but we did get a light snowfall this morning. If it is really too late to plant, is it worth trying to save the bulbs for next fall and if so , what is the best method? Many thanks for your help.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They will not enjoy spending a year without growing. Plant promptly and mulch well.

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I agree. They stand a better chance planted in the soil right now then being kept unplanted. Take the opportunity if the ground is not frozen solid yet. If it is, just throw a plastic sheet, or a piece of polystyrene foam over the soil. This may allow the ground to thaw out enough for you to dig holes for them. If the ground is so frozen that you can' plant them at all, a good alternative would be to grow them in containers. Put the containers in a sheltered position outside.

4. Cristina Diaz

Cristina Diaz Member

Hello Ceres

Although it is better to plant your bulbs in autumn, they are Ok if you plant them now, as long as there are certain weather conditions. They will not survive outdoors if the temperatures drop below freezing, as they require the protection of a shed. But if the temperatures stay above freezing, then you can leave the bulbs outdoors in containers.

If the area where you live is very cold, then you have a chance that they don't survive, because you're planting them rather late, and they need some time to develop till they can be strong enough (though babies still) to survive the winter and gain in strength.

Hope this helps and your plants grow well. And in any case, I'd say, why don't give it a go (if in doubt) and plant one at least and see what happens. Myself I'm trying to grow sunflowers (which obviously need sun) just planted about a week or so ago, in this now quite cold November in London (ah, there you go) :-)

Have a nice day

Cris

----

Cristina Diaz is an author and founder of the Beautiful Gardens Email Club
    Visit it at http://www.soapystuff.com/free-garden-reports.html for useful garden reports