To pinch or not to pinch!

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by marylou830, Jun 18, 2007.

1. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

How and when do I pinch my bouganvillea? I just read that in order for it to continue blooming, the plant must be pinched or pruned. I'm not sure of which to do or where on the vine to begin the pinching or pruning. Please help.

2. Bougiebud

Bougiebud Member

Hi Marylou... When I got my bouganvillea I contacted a grower in South Carolina who gave me excellent tips and I had the most amazing show of flowers this summer that have lasted about 6 weeks. The first 2 blooms I got in winter and spring were rather sad but WOW did it blow me away when it just lit up in July. After the plant finish's flowering, cut back each branch to 5 leaves. The plant will only flower on new growth. I live in the Fraser Valley and will be bringing mine inside soon as the nights are cooling off. I keep it in a South East window (only because it's really the only one I can put it in) Give it plenty of fertilizer with a high middle #. I use those Jobes flowering plant spikes and they seem to have done an excellent job. Also keep the plant somewhat rootbound and let it dry out between watering. I just bought 2 more and am looking forward to seeing how well I do with them. They are so worth it! Good Luck
    Kim