Tissue cultures.

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Kada, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

I am currently reading, so excuse me if these are basic questions.

But beacuse every specie seems to have different methods i am curious. What does one look at when wanting to culture a different plant? how are the chemical concentrations different, or even the chemicals tehmselves different, when trying it with a different plant.

I am reading up on orchids, but i do not wish to do much with orchids and would like to do it with various rare tropical plants, succulents, cacti and fruits.

what i am trying to say is, an orchid mixture will surely be different than an Agaves. so how does one venture from say orchids, to something of a different group?

thanks for any help!

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Kada:
    The most accessible reference I have come across that is still reasonably technical (as opposed to kitchen sink) is :
    Plants from Test Tubes: An Introduction to Micropropagation by Lydiane Kyte and John Kleyn ISBN 0-88192-361-3.

The best approach to propagating an unlisted plant would be to find a "recipe" (including the procedures) for something close and start experimenting from there. Orchids would not be a good place for a beginner to start as they can be very slow to show progress (months as opposed to weeks).

Ralph