Tips on transplanting tree peonies

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Fine ocean parker, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Fine ocean parker

Fine ocean parker Active Member

I have a couple tree peonies I would like to move. There are in a south facing location and are going to stay very close to that same spot so, the light conditions shouldn't change much. Is there a good time to do this, as there already have 1-2" of new growth on them. Should I amend the soil with anything in the new spot. Also they are about 4' tall.
    Thanks.

2. czygyny

czygyny Member

I moved mine while it was dormant in winter. It has done quite well since, because it is in a better exposure than before and is in a more visible spot. They are such a beautiful flower! Amending soil is always good no matter what you're planting.

3. Anna Kadlec

Anna Kadlec Active Member 10 Years

I don't want to give you bad advice, so I'm not advising this... but, just to let you know that I am a fellow Ocean Parker and I recklessly moved 2 tree peonies clear across my yard a few years ago. I divided one of them along the way, I didn't amend the soil, and it was the height of summer. They all survived and, after the shell-shock passed, they look great.