Thinking of taking chances and rescuing a palm tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Majestypalm999, May 17, 2008.

1. Majestypalm999

Majestypalm999 Active Member

At the gardening section of a Fredmeyers, in the back and out of the way I noticed A nice looking palm tree. Many of the tree's leaves are brown and yellowing, though the tree looks as if some trimmings/daily mistings/more light could revive it completely. The tree is out of the way, so I am pretty sure none of the employees would do anything about it dying. Besides the leaves turning brown/yellow, there is no damage whatsoever to it.

So, I was thinking I'd take chances and buy it to see if I can save it. The problem is, the palm tree is $80. I know this risk could turn out to be a total waste of money, but I am determined to atleast give the palm tree a chance.

When I get the palm tree, I will post some pix of 'before and after', as in one pic of it as soon as I locate it, and another pic of it once I trim off the dying leaves.

2. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

$80 is awfully steep for anything you might find in a general store like Fred Meyers... Unless they're selling 7 - 10 gallon tropical palms, you'd be better off getting a photo of it so we can peg it down for you, and then finding one in better shape for less coin.

That being said, I'm guilty as sin when it comes to buying poverty cases and trying to rehabilitate them... 'Salvage trees.' Now, I've always paid clearance prices for them, so you have two options as I see it:

1) Enquire as to their refund policy in the event (perhaps likely, in this case) that it dies.

2) Regardless of that answer, talk them down to $20 or under, depending on the size and poverty level of the condition of the tree.

Good luck!

3. Majestypalm999

Have you had any luck trying to 'salvage trees'?

I think I should be able to find out what kind of palm tree it is, but google won't give me the simple web page I need: a site with palm tree names right next to their pictures. It seems too simple not to exist, so I will try again.

4. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Maj,

Had plenty of luck salvaging everything from common houseplants through to ferns, palms, cycads, and hardwoods! They key is to quickly and urgently give them all the care you can while at the same time not putting them into shock by killing them with kindness. Worst thing you can do with a sorry sod is to bring it home, repot it straight away, fertilise it, and put in directly into the environment it needs. Sounds counter-intuitive, but that will kill anything that's already stressed by neglect. You need to take it one step at a time from where it was to where it needs to be.

For palms, start off with as much, or slightly more light than they were getting (provided it's not a shade species), and keep it watered well. You'd be amazed at how many times this has been all that a sorry tree needed. Give it a couple of weeks to recover and strengthen up before you repot it. Use proper soil for whatever it is you're working with; I can't stress this enough. Give it a few more weeks before you fertilise, and, again, make sure you fertilise it properly...

At the moment, I have a bamboo palm I rescued a month and a half ago that is now solid, stable, happy, and fruiting in a 3 gallon pot of good soil. When I got it, it was in a 7 gallon pot full of heavy clay soil, and was more dead than alive. I didn't have to root prune it at all to get it into the 3 gallon pot, which would likely have killed it anyway. I did, however, judge the 3 gallon a better fit for the two trunks after I removed all of the dead root stock that had rotted away...

For heaps of palm photos, this website works wonders. A little tricky to get what you're looking for, but it's the best I can recall at the mo, not having my bookmarks here at the office:

http://www.plantapalm.com/vpe/photos/vpe_photos.htm

5. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

I am always tempted by palms. They are lovely. Good for you and this palm tree should you go ahead in this quest!

6. Majestypalm999

If I get the palm, it will delay the setup of my marine aquarium (yes, I am into fish) but there is nothing living in the tank at all, so it can wait. This kind of ate away some of the money I was wanting to spend on the palm tree, so I will have to get some more $.
    I was thinking what would determine wether I'd get the palm or not, would be for me to check back at Freddy's to see if it the soil is suitable, and damp. I could sneak in with a small spray bottle and some scissors and if noone is around, mist it/ snip off the dead leaves. :P