Identification: There's a succulent in my fungus :}

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Chungii V, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Not really an i.d. but if any can put a name to these mushrooms I won't mind at all.... I just like this pic and had to share :} 150 mm (6 inches) of rain in two days brought a few of these to the surface around the place.
    Succulent is Echeveria 'Paul Bunyan'

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I love the beautiful thick ring defying gravity!

-frog

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

thank you for the chuckle...very sorely needed here today!!

although they're phenominal specimens, i have no idea what particular type they are. i wouldn't leave them there too long either as they're doing a fabulous job of blocking the sun and that poor lil succ may revolt and decide to up and move!! ;)

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I enjoy both the great photo and the equally great title of your post. The mushroom look as if they are guarding the Echeveria and keeping him safe.

Yo, C. Wick! Identify these fungi!

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Something in the Lepiota genus?

6. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

They look like Chlorophyllum rhacodes, but I'd need to see the caps to be sure.

If it's them... delicious. :P

7. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed :}
    Here's a top view, the underside had a pale green tinge which I couldn't pick up with the camera. The colour of it made me unsure of whether they were edible or not so they were left, better err on the side of safety I think.
    Mushroom don't last long here as rain is often followed by beating sun, so the Echeveria has clear skies again.

8. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Your 'top' picture wasn't properly attached (or is not being displayed). It would be most helpful.

9. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Sorry, top view...

Attached Files:

10. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Check out this page on Chlorophyllum rhacodes (formerly Lepiota rhacodes) http://www.mushroomexpert.com/chlorophyllum_rhacodes.html. You definitely have something in the genus (some of which are poisonous). I'm certainly not familiar enough with Australian mushrooms to venture out on a limb, but check through the characteristics on Michael Kuo's page.

11. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

12. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Good thing you noticed the green tinge (Which I couldn't see in your photo.). Chlorophyllum molybdites is what you have and is POISONOUS.

It is responsible for more poisonings than any other single species, due to it's similarity to the delicious rhacodes.

When did this appear and in what locality ?

Jeff

13. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Thanks for the i.d. it was about 3 days ago, my yard in Hervey Bay, Eastern Australia.
    I actually tried (several times) to get a photo showing the green but just couldn't pick it up. I figured the colour was a good warning sign. I do occassionally get mushroom compost but keep it in a planter to make sure I don't get them mixed up :}

14. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Thank you Chungii, for the exposure. It is remarkable that the same fungi grow so far apart.

I've never actually seen that species but am watchful for them always, because "The Shaggy Parasol" is my favourite edible, and I don't want to be poisoned.

I must have got thirty or forty pounds (fresh weight) this year (the best ever for me) and much of it is still here, now dried. The taste gets better like fine wine to about two years after drying.

Most people collect only the caps because the stems are quite woody, but I dry the stems too, and powder them in a spice grinder for stock.

Jeff

15. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Man...I'm ALWAYS late getting to see such awesome fellows! Those rings are outstanding! Can I ask what the 'average' weather u're getting right now? I know there in Australia I've several friends who regularly share some of their myco wonders and I'm always fascinated to see more!

16. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Average top temps around 30-35 C (90F) and minimum around 17-20 C (65F) at this time of year. We had a couple of weeks drizzle and overcast weather then 2 days of good rain back to full sun and humidity again now. We get a lot of mushrooms sprouting through periods of rain like that but they don't last long once it clears.
    I'm glad to hear this photo was well enjoyed, I will post any further interesting photos of anything I may find around the place. I mainly joined this site for the plants side and somewhat the same idea of enjoying seeing what's being grown over the other side of the world. That's the best thing about this site is the vast range and great help available. Hopefully I'll have some more interesting pics soon...

17. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

My area of the US is suffering from a VERY dry winter...hopefully our spring/summer will have better results.
    Feel free to post ANY of u'r fungi finds! If I could hop right over to u'r area I'd do it in a heartbeat just to see all the fungal wonders. :o)