The Tempest

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, May 10, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

My "département" was in "orange warning" for storms.
    It rained last night, but today was rather sunny and warm (24°C), actually rather suffocating becuse of humidity. But suddenly, thunder and lightning, and it's pouring now. I just hope the basement won't be flooded, and that there won't be any hail.

Probably not so impressive for those who live in a hundred km from the sea, but here, it looks like the end of the world. I couldn't catch a photo when the wind almost flattened the Wisteria to the ground, and couldn't catch a flash of lightning either, but this is the kind of storm we sometimes have in June.

And for tomorrow and the next few day, the forecast is 12-13°C, half today's temps.

At least, I won't have to water my trees with hard water... ;^) I just hope the trees will be all right and I won't have to mop up the basement ^^

jardin_200510a.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @AlainK, definitely not a post for cheering ourselves up thread, lol.
    The winds are gusting here as well and poor @Luke's Maples 40mph winds. Tbh those of us of a particular age can really now see the climate changing from what we had 6 - 7 decades ago.
    Talking about the heavy rain, this has caused the death of 9 of my trees this spring, even though I've worked hard on my soil every year to aid drainage.
    Anyway my thoughts are with you and fingers crossed you have no flooding.

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Well, flooding at my place is not really the kind of thing that would happen: where I live is called "Monteloup", it's about the highest place from the river Loire, say about 30 metres or so. The only problem is that in the 60s most houses here were built with a basement garage. So when there's (very) heavy rain, the drains must be cleared of dead leaves and the kind. I've just checked, and it's OK.

"Monteloup", very roughly for it's hard to translate old French into modern English, means "where the wolves come up", from the local interpretation of the name. It was said that when wolves got angry in the winter, they would come up the hill to come and snatch maple enthusiasts for their dinner.

But that's a legend of course.

A few yards from where I live, there was "la Dame de Monteloup", a 20 year-old mother and her 18-months son (4700-3500 BC):

Orléans (Loiret)

4. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Very amusing anecdote!

5. Acerholic

Just said on the weather news that a Polar Vortex is heading our way. What the heck is going on. My Acer 'Griseum' is definitely not coming out to play now.

6. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, Hi Luke this seems the right thread to ask ; how are your trees faring?

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

There was even a red warning for the SW for a while. We've had a fair bit of wind here, lots of pots over, no trees down that I can see. Some hail yesterday.

A strange NE wind though, so there are shredded leaves everywhere. Temperature dropping like a stone, it is "The Ice Saints!" Sunny now but we'll see what happens tomorrow morning.

8. Acerholic

Zero degrees forecast here tonight, we have everything crossed. Hail stones in northern France, wow that's not far from us. 40 mph wind this afternoon here but has calmed now. May used to be so nice, all the flower shows etc . @AlainK was right with the title of this thread, 'Tempest' for Europe and UK !!!! Wow!!