The smallest palm frond is sickly yellow...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Majestypalm999, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Majestypalm999

Majestypalm999 Active Member

I noticed a few days ago that the smallest frond on my majesty palm tree was yellowish. I thought that was a sign of overwatering, so I stopped watering it for three days. Now it is getting worse, and it is almost completely yellow, and it looks sick. The tips of the leaves are brown, unlike how they were when the yellowing started.
    So my main question is this: What is happening and what do I do about it?
    (I will post some piccies as soon as I can get batteries for my camera.)

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Under watering and over watering can cause the same yellowing leaf symptoms. Majesty palms can be a real challage to keep healthy as an indoor plant. Many will try a few of these plams before they give up, that's not to say it can't be done though.
    They like lots of water and lots of light.

3. Majestypalm999

My palm is right by my sliding glass door, so it should be getting a fair amount of light. I also give it a daily misting, and a light watering every other day to keep the soil damp, but not wet.

I am finding that the palm is way harder to keep than I thought, because I am used to keeping smaller tropical plants. This is the third problem I've had with the palm tree so far, after spider mites and bug infestations. This one is the hardest to deal with though.

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Majestypalm,

It's too bad, these palms seem to prefer a more tropical environment then an indoor one.

Instead of light waterings every other day, you might want to try a more thorough watering. The little amounts might not be wetting the roots way down, or the entire root ball.
    If you like the look of the majesty palm (me too) and thing don't go according to plan (I hope it does):) In the future perhaps, you might like to try a a less fusst palm, maybe a kentia, or Areca, They are nice looking, and soooo much easier to care for.

Best of luck with your palm! I hope it straightens up!

5. Majestypalm999

Now, the frond is almost completely brown near the top. I am misting/watering the palm tree heavily, twice a day, and the frond only gets worse. Another frond is brown at the top, though the others are healthy and green.

6. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Re: Help!!! Frond is almost completely dead on top! :(

If it's the leaf that is just erupting from the crown that's nearly dead on arrival, you're walking the finest line between survivable and totally hosed. Once that happens, you're pretty much dead to the core, though you can sometimes survive it. What circumstances di you move it to and from? Did you subject it to a significantly different environment? Did you alter your watering practices as necessary to account for the new conditions?

7. Majestypalm999

Re: Help!!! Frond is almost completely dead on top! :(

I moved the palm tree so it would get more light, and I altered my watering practices as soon as the fronds started to turn yellow/brown.

One of the fronds seems to have a chance of recovering, and the other is pretty much dead though I know it is trying to come back judging by how the bottom of the frond is still greenish. The 95% dead frond is bent in he middle, so part of it hangs down. Should I snip off all of the brown part?
    Bad news: I noticed another frond is yellowing at it's tips. Only two of the fronds are doing as well as they were when I bought the palm tree, along with a frond that hasn't opened up yet. I think I finally eliminated all of the centipedes, luckily.
    The trunk of the palm seems sick, as if the tree could be rotting. Since there are no more visible bugs in the soil, I think that might stop soon.