Tamukeyama in Florida ?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by artimisia, Apr 8, 2005.

1. artimisia

artimisia Member

Beverly Hills, Citrus County, Florida, USA
    Hello,

I am new to the forum and am happy to see that it is so active. I am hoping to learn a lot here.

I live in Citrus County Florida, USA. My zone is either 8b or 9A (depending on where I am searching). My heat zone is 10.

When I first moved here I bought a small Japanese maple from a box store. I have it facing east and it gets morning sun. It is doing very well except it may be a bit too shaded in the rear of the tree. I am going to search this forum to try and see if I can identify it.

Anyway, I am in the process of purchasing a couple of Tamukeyama maples. Does anyone one this forum have any feeling as to what chance this maple has. My soil is very sandy so I have to ammend it but eventually it will grow into the sand.

Sorry for the rambling but I really miss my J.M. from my NY garden. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: japanese maples

If the one is doing very well the other probably will too. Mulch instead of amending.

3. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have been told that Japanese Maples need a dormant period in the winter to rest and if they don't get it they only last a few years. It may have to do with chill hours. The ones at Disney World must be replaced about every 4 years. I don't have first hand information, so you might want to confirm this information with people in your area.

Dale

4. artimisia

artimisia Member

Does anyone know the required chill hours for japanese maples. Is it the same for every type?

Thanks

5. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

You need not worry too much about cold chill for
    Tamukeyama grown in Citrus County. Oranges
    require some cold weather in order to "sugar up".
    Even in Orlando there is enough coolness to allow
    the Oranges to produce sugar. Think of your
    growing area as being a lot like Los Angeles and
    neighboring areas but without so much of the
    uniformity of temperatures during the growing
    season. You should get a longer growing season
    than many other areas will but not like Los Angeles
    or San Diego especially. Since the cooling comes
    later in the year then the Maples will leaf out a little
    later than most areas will in the Spring because the
    plants will shut down to go dormant later in the
    Winter than many areas will.

Morning sunlight for Tamukeyama with afternoon
    protection will work for you. One thing that is a
    no-no is to fertilize your Maple(s) late in the year
    where you are with Nitrogen as you do not want a
    lot of new growth when the Maple should be setting
    leaf buds prior to shutting down for the Winter.
    Fertilize with any Nitrogen in the Spring only where
    you are. Loamy sand is not a problem for Maples
    and in many cases adding in humus is not always
    needed. For coarse sand then yes, humus is a helpful
    soil amendment in warmer climates to allow for better
    water retention in the soil. Many Citrus are grown
    in a sandy loam soil and in most areas a coarse
    humus and even a real fine to an Orchid grade bark
    (small sized walk on bark will work) is all we may
    want to add in or place on top of the soil as a soil
    amendment.

Jim

6. artimisia

artimisia Member

I just want to thank you all for the advice. I am all fired up and ready to place my orders for JM.

This is a strange area. An orange tree may do well for a couple of years and them bam we get hit with frost for a couple of hours and good bye. Three miles away they are fine.

Once again thanks

Judy

7. Re: japanese maples

Another thought. As I have to mail order these trees does anyone have any thought as :

1. Am I better off ordering from a neighboring state, i.e. southeast (they may be more acclimated but in leaf.

2. Ordering from Oregon and neighboring states as the trees may not be leafed out

Thanks for any advice

Does it matter?

Judy

8. Layne Uyeno

Layne Uyeno Active Member 10 Years

Hi Judy,

That is the thing with microclimates. I live in Hollywood and it can be 90 degrees here, but as soon as you crest the hills and enter the San Fernando Valley just a couple miles away you get hit with 100+ temps! Sweltering... When people ask me about a watering regimen I always tell them it all depends!

If no one has told you yet if you get spring frosts you need to protect your Japanese maples. If they're kept in pots it'll be easier. You can just move them into an unheated garage or basement till the threat of frost is gone. But, if your's are planted in the ground you need to take precautions to minimize die back due to frost damage.

As far as ordering from the Pac. northwest or other areas away from your state you have to realize the maples are grown in a different enivronment. Actually, even if they were grown in your own state they'd be growing in a slightly different environment than your's (microclimate). Keep in mind that the maples need to acclimate and may not look good (leaf scorch) for at least a season. I've had experience that sometimes just taking them home from a local nursery's environment and into mine will cause them some stress and leaf scorch or twig die back will result. The great thing about our delicate maples is that they are very resilient and adaptable.

Springtime is a good time to mailorder as it's still relatively cool. Summertime is too hot and the trees *will* suffer for it. Hence, many mailorder nurseries will tag your tree and ship out in the fall.

Please share your maples with us when you get the chance.

Hope this helps,

Layne

9. artimisia

artimisia Member

My JM will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Is it advisable to add a little rooting hormone when planting?

Judy