Tall raised beds - what to put under soil for drainage?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Gabriolan, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Gabriolan

Gabriolan Active Member 10 Years

So we got all organized and built raised beds. We built really tall ones, (32 inches) so that we won't have to bend over or crouch down so much.

Now, clearly we don't need 32 inches of soil for veggies and flowers; I get that part. So we'll have soil on the top layer, but, um... what underneath?

I'm thinking maybe sand in the middle section, and gravel under that. Does that sound like a good idea? What would you suggest?

2. roadapple

roadapple Member

this is how we biuld raised golf greens firsts layer of 5-6 inch of gravel then 1-2 inch of sand to stop the dirt from mixing with the gravel then soil...for extreme drainage there is a piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled the lenght under the gravel with holes to the ground and the ends are just at ground level prodruding from the edge of the green/ or garden box..your plan is good

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

If you could top off gravel with a soil that would aggregate so it does not wash down in that gravel - might work well. What is it called in soil when it bonds - peds ??

Improved clay soil does it and draiins well.

Sandy - loam ?? Not sure.

4. Gabriolan

This is fascinating! I had no idea that golf greens were built that way. Thanks, roadapple, for your interesting and helpful reply.

5. Gabriolan

Thanks, M. D. Vaden. I have no idea what it's called when soil bonds... hadn't considered that possibility. Huh. I'm pretty new at this raised bed thing.

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

weed mat between gravel and soil might also work. Or at least sonme sort of very fine mesh that will not deteriorate

Liz