tall, narrow, fast growing, wind tolerant, on slope??

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by maupatt, Apr 18, 2009.

1. maupatt

maupatt Member

I want to plant a row of tall, narrow, fast growing, wind tolerant trees on a 3:1 slope (every third foot is one foot higher) that will also provide privacy. I'm also considering a retaining wall in front of these trees.

So far I have the following suggestions: Thuja Occidentalis (White Cedars) and Columnar English Oak (as they keep some of their leaves for over the winter).

By tall I'm hoping for something that will eventually grow to be 25-30 feet, so Emeral Cedars won't cut it.
    I'm in zone 5, southern Ontario, in a windy spot.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Maupatt,
    How about Swedish Columnar Aspen (Populus tremula Erecta) or Griffin Popular (Populus x Griffin)? These are much bigger and faster growing than Thuja occidentalis. Only thing you may not like is they drop their leaves in winter.
    Peace
    Thean

3. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

You should rule out English oak if you want something fast-growing.

Having done that, there a kind of trade-off involved. Faster-growing trees (that are still hardy in zone 5) will tend to be deciduous -- and Thean's suggestion of aspen or poplar is really good. You'll get some privacy, but of course it won't be the same as an evergreen barrier.

I guess I'd be inclined to go with some columnar form of Thuja and be patient. Maybe a local nursery or landscaper could suggest which varieties grow the fastest.

4. maupatt

maupatt Member

Thank you! Great suggestions! I'm now considering staggering a mix of evergreens and deciduous to make it look a little more natural, and these would work in nicely.