Taking classes at ubc...?

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Kada, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

just a quick question. i am interested in taking a few biology classes at teh university, ubt i amnot looking for a degree and do not have the grades from high school to get it anyway. i am really wanting to learn about certain aspects, so would be interested in just taking courses (2011/2012 year).

is this possible? or do i need to go through the whole ordeal of getting a degree to take these?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    My husband was a biology professor in Halifax, before his retirement, so I know how the system works in some ways. Many universities have online web courses, check the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Camosun College in Victoria BC, other community colleges in BC, such as Kwantlen Community College, and universities and colleges in Ontario such as George Brown College, Humber College, Carleton University, Ryerson Polytechnic. These online courses are usually very available to all. Try the continuing education department at UBC if they have one, you would have to online to UBC and browse around looking to see if they have an online course or "open university" continuing education program. It is possible they may want you to take a preliminary online high school biology class first.

4. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

You should give Admissions a call. It's been years since I've attended UBC but I believe that people can audit the course - attend the class, take tests (I think) but not get marks. You could also try taking courses from a college. I don't think that you have to be enrolled in a degree program to take courses. Registration in a course depends on if there is space in the class. Typically students enrolled in a degree program that need that course get priority.