Systemic Insecticide for Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by xman, Apr 6, 2010.

1. xman

xman Active Member

Hi,

It is spring again and all my maples are starting to leaf out. I noticed that I have a lot of grubs in my flower bed, and everytime I dig a hole to plant something I find at least a few of these while grubs.
    Most of the soft shrubs and small plants do not make it too long in the soil as their roots get eaten by these grubs. So far I have not used any insecticide/pesticide on my lawn or flowerbeds and so the grubs seem to flourish.
    All my maples are in containers, and yesterday I noticed a couple of grubs in on of my maple container's soil and that got me worried. Quite a few of my maples are in 1 or 2 gallon pots and cannot withstand their roots being eaten.

Has anybody used any soil drench or systemic insecticide to control these soil grubs, root weevils etc that is safe for maples?

thanks,
    xman

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I would find out exactly what kind of grubs they are first. All grubs are larve of a beetle. Once you know, there are some really great biological controls that are long lasting. Specific kinds of bacteria or nematodes may be available that kill your grubs without harmful chemicals. And many of these remedies last for years. I'm using Milky Spore Disease to control Japanese Beetle grubs, and one application will last up to 10 years.